Just keep pulling!
When I first started lifting weights I fell in love with the squat. The squat became my main lift and I really did not do too many deadlifts. Over time that has changed as I have also learned to love the dead-lift and now it is just as important to my lifting routine as the squat. My personal best deadlift is 800 lbs. for 1 rep and that was raw. (Raw in power-lifting lingo means without any power-lifting gear.)
The deadlift really is a great representation of someone's total body strength. If there is one lift that really shows how strong someone is, it is probably the deadlift. It is so basic in its design -- so simple and pure. There is a heavy weight on the ground, so what do you do -- bend over and pick it up!
The main mistake most people make with the deadlift is that they use too much lower back during the lift. The lower back is going to come into play, there is no way to avoid that, but you want to try to bring in as many other muscles as possible in addition to the lower back. As someone with bulging discs can attest to, this is a very good idea.
Mostly you really have to concentrate at keeping the lower back arched at all times. Try to lift the weight with your hamstrings and upper back and keep the lower back out of it as much as possible.
Also, do not let the bar drift out away from the body. The bar should actually be dragged up the legs. When I go heavy I use baby powder on my legs to help the bar slide up. I also remove my shoes and dead-lift in my socks -- less further to pull.
Well get at it! Go pull some serious weight!
Joel Sward - SwardStrength - House Of Muscle - Deadlift
- Age is just a number . . .
- Front Squat - 320lbs (145kgs) - 4 reps
- 540lb (245kg) deadlift at age 51. Age is just a number.
- Train hard, eat right, rest well, add weight to the bar and repeat.
- Squat Day
- Power Clean
- Baby Weight!
- Front Squat - worked up to a single at 360lbs (163kgs)
- Trap Bar Deadlift - 600lbs 3 sets of 3
- Front Squats - Keep Grinding!
- Overhead Press Improvisation
- Just keeping pulling . . .
- Trap Bar Deadlift
- Joel Sward - SwardStrength - House Of Muscle - Deadlift
- House Of Muscle - Joel Sward - Deadlift
- Grinding out some front squats
- House Of Muscle - Joel Sward - Power Clean Day
- Day of the deads . . .
- House Of Muscle - Joel Sward - Barbell Tricep Extensions
- House Of Muscle - Joel Sward - Power Cleans
- House Of Muscle - Joel Sward - Reverse Hyperextentions
- House Of Muscle - Joel Sward - Squats
- House Of Muscle - Joel Sward - Tricep Extensions
- Joel Shot Put - MVC Indoor Championships
- Joel Sward - 800lb Deadlift
- Joel 740lb Squat!
- Millennium Dumbbell Attempt
- Thomas Inch Dumbbell Farmers Walk
- 1990 Shot Put Training
- House Of Muscle - Joel Sward - Shot Put 1991 Practice
- House Of Muscle - Train Hard!
- House Of Muscle | Nick 630 x 2 Deadlift
- House Of Muscle | USS Nationals 2017 | Nick Hickey
- House Of Muscle | Nick - June Training Clips
- House Of Muscle | Nick - CT Strongest
- House Of Muscle - Nick Axle Press & Cleans
- Nick March 2017 Training
- Nick 600 Deadlift For 2 Reps
- Nick Off Season Training Jan 2017
- Strongman Nick - Winter Wreckage 2.0
- House Of Muscle - Nick - 455 Squat x 6
- 2016 USAPL Newport Open - Nick Hickey
- House Of Muscle - Nick - 470 Squat
- Ethan Pendry 475 lbs Incline Bench Press
- Ethan Heavy T-Bar Rows
- Ethan 315 Close Grip Bench Press
- November Strongman Training
- Ethan Heavy Rack Pulls Offseason 2015
- 405 lbs Incline Bench Press - Ethan Pendry | April 2015
- Beast Of Bloomsburg | Nick Hickey
- Ethan Pendry 2015 Offseason Back Training
- Nick Log and Farmers Walk Strongman Training
- Nick Atlas Stones - Krank'd 7
- Nick Conan's Wheel - Krank'd 7
- Nick Car Deadlift - Krank'd 7
- Nick Viking Press- Krank'd 7
- Ethan Pendry Training August 2014
- Nick Carry Medley - Krank'd 7
- Ethan Pendry Heavy Barbell Rows
- Ethan Pendry Trains Shoulders
- 300lb Atlas Stone Training
- Ethan Pendry Leg Superset
- Ethan Pendry 405 Squats
- Ethan Pendry 405 Incline Bench
- Ethan Pendry Shrugs
- Ethan Pendry Double Pump Lunges
- Ethan Pendry Chest & Back Superset
- Ethan Pendry Shoulders Superset
- Ethan Curls
- Nick Hickey 620lb Deadlift
- Nick Hickey 550lb Squat
- Nick Hickey 360lb Bench